US Immigrant Visa in general means a person who wishes to immigrate to the United States. You must have a petition approved by the U.S Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) before applying for an immigrant visa. Read on to know more about this visa.
The United States of America is one of the dream destinations of immigrants. Over millions of people travel to this country per year. Those that are going there want to start a new living there, they must follow some steps and fit the visa requirements.
US Immigrant Visa
In this post, you will learn types of US immigrant visa and get priceless information about each of them. You will also get to know US immigrant visa requirements and more.
You can apply for a visa to visit the USA if you are not a holder of a visa waiver passport. Like I said earlier, there are different types of visas for foreigners who want to travel to the USA.
However, each of this visa has their own requirements and norms that candidate need to answer.
Types of US Immigrant Visa
The immigrant visa has several visa categories and subcategories. Generally, they can divide into two groups. Relative/Family-Sponsored and immigrant work visas US.
Most people who come to the U.S. using an immigrant visa receive one of the following types:
- Relative/Family-Sponsored: This is for those with a family member who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. They include Spouse Visa, Family members of illegal permanent citizen and Family members of US citizen.
- Immigrant work visas US: This means for people with advanced degrees which generally requires a job offer from a U.S. employer they include Investors, Special immigrant (S), and more.
The spouse visa of US resident can apply for a USA visa to live the country. They will need to provide dome details and documents to proven their marriage.
you cannot apply if You just live together with someone, you must have a legal marriage. Additionally, if the person has more than one spouse, only one of them will get the right to immigration.
Spouse US Immigrant Visa Requirements
If you fit these terms, you can follow other steps. During the application, you will need to provide documents, pay the fee and attend an interview (if your age is between 14 – 79).
- DS-260 Form
- The confirmation page of the appointment
- Valid passport or another travel document (should be valid 180 days beyond the planned stay duration and has a minimum of 2-3 free pages)
- Affidavit of support by a US citizen (sponsor)
- Photo (colorful, 5×5, and taken within the last 180 days)
- Prove of applicant’s status in his (her) country
- Medical test result
- Marriage certificate
- The documents of marriage termination
- Birth certificate
- Police records
- Army records
- Evidence of financial means (you should prove that you have enough money to cover your expenses)
- Photocopies of hotel and flight ticket reservations
Just follow the arranged interview online, then you will have to pay visa application fee which is 350 USD for all nationalities.
This is a type of visa that permit foreign Fiance to travel to the USA and marry a US resident. They can apply for permanent residency after marriage and obtaining a Fiance visa. Note that marriage must be done within 90 days of arrivals.
The process is very simple, first fill the form 1-129F which you can get from the USCIS office. Filling the form can be complicated to you, so read the below instructions.
Requirement US immigrant visa requirements
You will present the following documents:
- confirmation page of the appointment
- Valid passport or another travel document
- Evidence of applicant’s status in his country
- Birth certificate
- Police Certificate (Applicant must get it from the country of residence and all other locations where he (she) has lived for more than 180 days after the age of 16)
- The result of the medical test
- Proof of relationship with the US resident
- Divorce or death certificate (If the applicants were married before)
- Proof of financial means
- Photocopies of flight ticket and hotel booking
However, you also need to fill DS-160. At the end of the procedure, you will print the DS-160.
The Employment-Based Visa is visas that permit foreigners to work in the USE. Every year, people from all over the world get a chance to apply for this visa, the total number of applications is almost 140000 per year.
- These people must have strong background and achievements to apply for work in the USA.
- Those with minimum bachelor’s degree, five years of skill in the applied area, gifted in art, science, and so on are eligible for Secord preference.
- Unskilled, skilled, and professional foreign citizens can apply for a USA visa type.
- The fourth preference has enough subcategories. The people in this group are religious workers, graduates holding a medical diploma and so on.
- The last subcategory in the list of immigrant visas is for foreign investors who can bring benefits to the economy and create new work chances.
You will also need to offer some documents, pay the visa charge, and attend an interview. The payment is 445 USD for all nationalities and the fee will be paid online.
Apply for an Immigrant Visa
A visa interview is the last and one of the most crucial steps of the visa application procedure. See the essential steps to get an immigrant visa.
- In most cases, someone must sponsor you or file an immigrant petition for you.
- Wait until the petition is approved and a visa is available in your category. Then apply for an immigrant visa.
- Do this via a U.S. consulate abroad. Find one in your country in this directory of U.S consulates. https://www.usembassy.gov/
- Get a medical examination and get an interview.
- Wait for a decision on your application
Another way to seek an immigrant visa is through the Diversity Visa Lottery program. This program lets people from countries with low U.S. immigration rates participate in an annual drawing for an immigrant visa.
At the interview you need to be there 30 minutes to the time shown.
- During the interview, you will need to answer several questions.
- These questions will be about your plans, your personal life, the purpose of the visit, and so on.
- The most important thing about the interview is relaxing and answering all the questions properly.
- Do not try to hide something because it may cause a visa rejection.
- It lasts for a couple of hours because, besides answering questions, you will need to do some documentation.
Finally, do not forget to take the Appointment Confirmation letter with you.
US Immigrant Visa Status
The visa processing time may last for several weeks. During that time, you can want to check your immigrant visas status.
You can do it through the official website. There you will choose the type of visa that you want to check and your visa case number.
It happens in most cases. You visa can be rejected due to missing or fake documents. Though not all application end successfully. Some visa applications can be declined, and there can be various reasons.
Another cause for visa refusal is not being able to cover expenses. Also, there can be some specific reasons for refusal, depending on the applied visa type.
RECOMMENDED: Everything You Need to Know About the US Green Card